Clinician, Researcher, Educator
Arlene Silverio, MD, FAAP
With over 20 years of clinical care experience in a children's hospital and pediatric trauma center, Dr. Silverio's primary focus is on youth sports concussion, caring for injured student athletes on the sideline and in the acute care setting, as well as in private practice, managing the athlete through recovery. Additionally, Dr. Silverio is involved in ongoing youth sports concussion research, serves in the community as the concussion program coordinator for youth hockey, and is the mother of four student athletes who have suffered multiple concussions from youth sports.
- Credentialed ImPACT® Consultant (www.impacttest.com) - committed to comprehensive concussion management trained in the of a research-based computer test developed to help clinicians evluate a patient's recovery following concussion.
- Community Concussion Physician and Investigator in connection with NYU Langone Concussion Center's ongoing research on sideline tests for sports-related concussions in youth lacrosse, ice hockey and football
- Frequent lecturer to youth sports groups, parents, coaches, pediatricians and other physicians on the importance of prevention, detection and appropriate management of concussions at all age levels
- Member of the AAP's Council of Sports Medicine and Fitness
Current Research Interests
- Rapid Sideline Tests for Youth Sports-Related Concussion, utilizing the SCAT3, Child-SCAT3, King-Devick and Timed Tandem Gait
- Neurocognitive Sideline computer testing utilizing an iOS-based cognitive testing platform for children and adults
- See "Development of a Neurocogntive Screening Test", https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02597504?term=NCT02597504&rank=1 on ClinicalTrials.gov
- The utility of sideline tests and other concussion assessments throughout the course of concussion recovery
- Training community leaders, youth sports organizations, coaches, parents, students, and athletes in early concussion recognition for youth sports
Pediatrics and Academic Medicine
- Board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, New Hyde Park, NY
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Ronald O. Perelman Department of Emergency Medicine, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Section Member of the AAP's Section on Emergency Medicine and Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness
- BLS, ACLS, PALS and ATLS certified
- PALS instructor
- Frequent volunteer for medical missions to under-served locations, including Honduras, the Philippines, Haiti and Guatemala
Click HERE for more about Heads Up
Pediatrics, PLLC in the news and beyond!